Sunday, 1 May 2016

Uttarakhand DGP Sidhu retires on unsavoury note

Dehradun,  Uttarakhand DGP B S Sidhu today retired after 37 years of service on a rather unsavoury note as a charge sheet was handed to him just a day before his superannuation in a land grab case.

"A charge sheet has been issued to Sidhu in a land grab case of 2013," Principal Secretary (Home) Umakant Panwar told PTI.

It is a departmental proceeding against the former DGP to which he has to respond within 15 days, he said.

Received in a closed envelope at the state police headquarters last evening, the charge sheet accuses Sidhu of grabbing land in a reserve forest area in Rajpur here and illegal felling of trees.

Earlier this week, a former woman employee of the railways had accused Sidhu of trying to molest her when he was chief security commissioner of Railway Protection Force in the Central Railways in Mumbai in 2004.

Levelling the allegation here on April 27, the woman, who worked as a clerk in the Chief Security Commissioner's office in Central Railways, had said Sidhu called her into his chamber while he was watching obscene videos and asked her out for lunch or dinner.

Accusing him of trying to touch her, she said she pushed him away and ran out of his room.

The woman said she had lodged a complaint in this regard with railway authorities at that time but instead of acting against Sidhu, they transferred her and finally dismissed her after some time.

Sidhu had later denied the charge saying it was baseless.

"The matter has already been probed and the woman had been found guilty of levelling a false charge against me," he said.

A 1979 batch IPS officer, Sidhu had taken over as the DGP of Uttarakhand in September 2013.

SOURCE - PTI